- 12 cups toasted bread crumbs, or dressing mix
- 1 lb. bulk sausage, browned and drained
- 1/4 –1 cup butter, or margarine (enough to flavor bread)
- 1 cup or more finely chopped onions
- 1 cup or more finely chopped celery
- 8-oz. can sliced mushrooms, with liquid
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning (omit if using dressing mix)
- dash of pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups chicken stock
1. Combine bread crumbs and sausage. 2. Melt butter in skillet. Add onions and celery and sauté until tender. Stir in mushrooms and parsley. Add seasonings. Pour over bread crumbs and mix well. 3. Stir in eggs and chicken stock. 4. Pour into slow cooker and bake on High 1 hour, and on Low an additional 3 hours.
Variations: 1. For a drier stuffing, reduce the chicken stock to 1 ½ cups (or 14 oz. can chicken broth) and eliminate the sausage. 2. For a less spicy stuffing, reduce the poultry seasoning to ½ tsp. 3. Substitute 3 ½ – 4 ½ cups cooked and diced giblets in place of sausage. Add another can mushrooms and 2 tsp. sage in Step 2.
**Thoughts~Everyone seemed to like this at Thanksgiving.**