Saturday, September 6, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes

Peel and slice potatoes to fill an 8 x 8-inch pan. Slice some onions to scatter in that same pan. Next make the medium white sauce...

Ingredients

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups milk

Directions

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

Pour the Medium White Sauce over the potatoes and onions. Dot with butter. Cover and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Uncover and continue to bake for 60-70 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 4 to 6 people

Option~You can add ham chunks to this dish, and then it becomes a yummy meal.

**Thoughts~I love, love, love these scalloped potatoes! Even though I have my mom's recipe, I still say she makes them best. You can add ham to make it a complete meal.**

This is the recipe my mother has been using for years, and I adore her Scalloped Potatoes. The recipe comes from an old Betty Crocker's Cookbook. Well, it is older than me at least. ;-)


1 comment:

Ali said...

These sound so good! I'm thinking that with the white sauce my hubby might actually give them a chance. He doesn't like scalloped or au gratin potatoes:(